(video) footballer slumps, dies during match in edo
Spread the love

A player with the Angels Football Academy, Christopher Edoghogho has died after he slumped during a football match in Benin City, Edo State. It was gathered that Edoghogho collapsed on the pitch on Thursday, June 2, two minutes into the match against BJ Foundation Football Club in the ongoing Federation Cup.

His teammates blocked the main entrance of the Edo Specialist Hospital, Benin and the busy Sapele Road, to protest the alleged ‘attitude’ of medical personnel.

Speaking to journalists, one of his teammates, Okiemute Ovie explained that the match was going on smoothly Edo State School of Health, Dumez Road, when Edoghogho headed the ball and suddenly slumped on the field.

According to him, when Edoghogho slumped, other players and spectators thought it was the usual falling on the pitch. Ovie said once they realised that his condition was critical, they immediately called the attention of the medical team.

See also  Video Of Comedienne, Princess Jubilating After Baba Ijesha Was Convicted For $3xual Assault

“The game was on when Chris headed the ball to the centre cycle and went down about two minutes after then. We all thought it was one of the normal fallings that do happen on the pitch. While they were checking, the referee signalled the medical team and they came in and rushed him away.” he explained.

See also  2023 Election: Adesua Etomi, Rudeboy, Kate Henshaw, Toyin Abraham, Other Celebrities Storm Their Polling Unit

Ovie said that while they waited anxiously for news of the condition of the player, the organizers of the tournament urged them to play on. He said that the teammates refused to play but instead rushed to the hospital to find out the condition of their colleague.

See also  God Almighty Is Not And Can Never Be A Weak God For Mere Mortal To Fight And Defend Him - CAN Calls For Prosecution of Deborah's Killers
(video) footballer slumps, dies during match in edo

When they got to the hospital, they met the lifeless body of their colleague right inside the ambulance. “We demanded to know what happened to our colleague but nobody was ready to talk to us. Until now, none of the members of the organizer of the tournament is here.

It is over four hours since the incident happened.” he added. An official of the ministry, who confirmed the incident, however promised that the organizers will brief the press at the appropriate time.