Peter Obi Net Worth, Businesses, Political Career, and Awards
Peter Obi Net Worth, Peter Obi, former governor of the state of Anambra, is not only a wealthy politician but also a successful businessman. He spent some time in the business world before venturing into politics. Here in this article, we will not only look at peter obi net worth, we will also be looking at his businesses, political career, and awards
- Name – Peter Gregory Obi
- Date of birth – July 19, 1961
- State of origin – Anambra, Nigeria
- Occupation – businessman, politician
- Wife – Margaret Brownson Usen
- Peter Obi Net Worth – $10 million
Peter Obi Net Worth, Businesses, Political Career, and Awards
His full name is Peter Gregory Obi and he was born in Onitsha, Anambra State. He was affectionately called “OKWUTE” by his loved ones, which means “ROCK”. Peter Obi was born on July 19, 1961, and received his early education in Onitsha, Anambra State. He received his postgraduate education at Christ the King College, Onitsha. For his university studies, Peter Obi attended the renowned University of Nigeria, Nsukka, where he received a degree in philosophy in 1984.
Peter Obi has a great hunger for knowledge and academics. This appetite prompted me to travel outside of Nigeria to the best international schools for further studies. He is a graduate of Harvard Business School, Boston, USA; London School of Economics, where he studied Financial Management/Corporate Policy; Columbia Business School, New York, USA, where he studied Marketing Management; Institute for Management and Development, Switzerland, where he also received two certificates in the Senior Executive Program and in the Chief Executive Officers Program; Kellogg Graduate School of Management, USA, University of Oxford and Cambridge.
Peter Obi’s Business Career – Peter Obi Net Worth
Intelligence and business acumen enabled Peter Obi to successfully build a prestigious career in the business world. He has worked for several well-known companies in various management and business functions. Companies he has worked with include:
- Guardian Express Bank Plc
- FutureView Securities Ltd
- Next International Nigeria Ltd
- Corp Ltd and Card Center Ltd
- Guardian Express Mortgage Bank Ltd
- Paymaster Nigeria Ltd
- Chams Nigeria Ltd
During the tenure of former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, Peter Obi was appointed Chairman of the Security and Exchange Commission (SEC).
Peter Obi is also a member of leading bodies including the Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG), the Nigerian Chartered Institute of Bankers, and the British Institute of Directors (IOD).
Peter Obi’s Political Career
Peter Obi’s political career met with great resistance, but as a determined and courageous man, he overcame them all. He first ran for governor of Anambra in 2003 as part of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA). However, his opponent Chris Ngige was declared the winner by INEC. Peter Obi refused to accept this verdict and fought the case in court for three years until they declared him the winner and took over the governorship on March 17, 2006.
In 2010, Peter Obi ran for a second term as governor of the state of Anambra. He bravely won the election, defeating his opponent Professor Charles Soludo, the former CBN governor. He led the people of Anambra for another four years after handing it over to Willie Obiano in 2014.
Peter Obi wanted to become Nigeria’s vice president in the 2019 presidential election. He was Atiku Abubakar’s vice president of the People’s Democratic Party. Unfortunately, he lost the election to incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari.
In 2023, Peter Obi contested for the president of Nigeria, under the labour party, but he lost the election to ex-Lagos state governor bola ahmed Tinubu of the APC party.
Peter Obi Awards and Recognitions
Peter Obi Net Worth, Peter Obi has received several awards for outstanding business and political endeavors. His awards and recognitions include:
- Man of the Year, Sun newspaper, 2007
- Nigeria’s Most Trusted Governor, Champion Newspaper, 2009
- Nigeria’s Most Cautious Governor, Thisday Newspaper, 2009
- Governor of the Year, West Africa ICT Development Award, 2010
- Zik Leadership Award, 2011
- Gold Award for Prudence, Methodist Church of Nigeria, 2012
- Man of the Year, Business Hallmark Newspaper, 2012
- Best Governor for Vaccination in South East Nigeria, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, 2012
- Leadership and Good Governance Award, Ezeife Leadership Foundation, 2012
- Man of the Year, Silverbird, 2013
- Golden Merit Award, Nigerian Library Association, 2014
- Award for Outstanding Example in Leadership and Governance, The Voice Newspaper, 2014
- Most Outstanding Igbo Male of the Decade, Champion Newspaper, 2014
- Golden Jubilee Award, Onitsha Catholic Diocese, 2015
Peter Obi Net Worth
FoPeter Obi Net Worth – Former Anambra state governor and People’s Democratic Party vice-presidential candidate in the 2019 general election, Peter Obi decamps to the LP labour party to campaign for the 2023 presidential election. Peter Obi, said he was a trader who ventured into banking before becoming governor and, like all of us, was an engineer at South African breweries I believe Obi was a billionaire in Naira with an estimated net worth of about $10 million.
Peter Obi Cars
A man like the wealthy and influential Kick Peter Obi can afford to drive the best cars. He reportedly drove in a convoy of exotic and luxury cars during his tenure as governor. Possible luxury cars in Peter Obi’s garage include:
· Toyota SUV
Toyota Land Cruisers are bold and boxy, making them hard to miss. Often called the king of all SUVs, the Toyota Land Cruiser is a good car. With a powerful V8 engine, one can only expect high power and torque of 262 hp at 3400 rpm and a maximum torque of 650 Nm at 1600 rpm from the Land Cruiser. This vehicle costs between 55 and 70 million NGN.
· Mercedes Benz AMG C63
The luxurious AMG C63 is the car of choice for Peter Obi at his various business and political meetings in Nigeria. The Mercedes-Benz AMG is available as a coupe, sedan, or convertible.
This car features SiriusXM satellite radio with a 6-month trial, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, and Bluetooth audio streaming. This car has a starting price of NGN 65 million.
Lexus excels at producing quality cars that are designed for the best performance and comfort. With a 5.7-liter V8 producing 403 lb-ft of torque, the Lexus LX 570 is one of the most robust models from the Lexus car brand. The car costs about 75 million naira.
Peter Obi Houses
Peter Obi lives in a luxurious home worth millions of naira. He is suspected of owning an NGN 650 million mansion in Enugu, Nigeria. It is also said that he owns a house in London and several houses across Nigeria.
Peter Obi’s Personal Life
Peter Obi married Margaret Brownson Usen in 1992 and they are blessed with two children: Gabriella Nwamaka Frances Obi and Gregory Peter Oseloka Obi. He is also a staunch Catholic
Source Of Wealth
During the Pandora Papers saga, Peter Obi said on an Arise TV show: “I was the only engineer at South African Breweries. I also brought Ovaltine.
“The company I was in before I left it to my brother, who took over and paid me off. This company became the next cash and carry you see in Port Harcourt and Abuja.
“I sat on the boards of three banks and was chairman of one before I became governor.”
Peter Obi successes
He was the first gubernatorial candidate in Nigeria to legally challenge the logical conclusion that he was denied the gubernatorial election. He won in court and regained his mandate.
He was the first governor in Nigeria to challenge his wrongful impeachment in court and was reinstated by the courts.
He was the first governor in Nigeria to address the interpretation of governor terms when INEC allowed elections to be held in Anambra state, even though his term had not yet expired. The election, which had already been completed, was canceled and he was allowed to end his term.
He was the first governor to serve a second term in both the new and old Anambra states, nearly 40 years after the state’s founding.
He was the first governor to be appointed special adviser to the president while in office.
He was the first incumbent governor to be appointed to the Presidential Economic Management Team.
He was one of the first governors to receive a national award while still in office in 2011.
Although he was the only governor whose political party governed only one state, he was twice elected Vice President of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum.
Although he was the only non-PDP governor in the Southeast (consisting of 5 states), he was elected by the other 4 PDP governors as their chairman for 8 years instead of the usual year.
Fundamental Achievements As Governor Of Anambra State
1. Anambra was the first state to start saving under sovereignty, the first of its kind in sub-Saharan Africa. At a time when many other governors were left with huge debts, I left behind the equivalent of $500 million dollars in investments, as well as local and foreign currency, including $156 million in dollar-denominated bonds.
2. For the first time in the history of Anambra State, Ambassadors and High Commissioners of notable countries such as the United States, Great Britain, Russia, the European Union, South Africa, Belgium, Israel, Netherlands, and Canada, among others, the state visited. Before his tenure, Anambra was practically a pariah state blacklisted by the Diplomatic Corps and international development partners.
3. Development partners such as UNDP, UNICEF, World Bank, DFID, European Union, etc., which were not in Anambra State until now, started to cooperate with the state. Anambra was consistently named one of the top states for development partnership and commitment to good governance reforms.
4. He was recognized as the best governor by the Millennium Development Goals Office (OSSAP-MDGs) and the UNDP in the implementation of their programs in Nigeria.
5. The Nigerian Debt Management Office (DMO) rated Anambra as the least indebted state in Nigeria. Despite visible and measurable achievements in various sectors, the state under him has not attracted loans or bonds for its various projects.
6. The Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria rated Anambra State as the most financially stable state in the country.
7. The state’s groundbreaking return of schools to their original owners – Voluntary Agencies (Churches) on January 1, 2009, and subsequent partnership with the Agencies in Education, has moved the state from 24th out of 36 states to number one in the National Examination Council (NECO) and West African Examination Council (WAEC) exams for three consecutive years. This prompted the World Bank to commission a study led by the renowned Prof. Paul Collier of the University of Oxford into this revolutionary partnership and phenomenal achievement.
8. Through a partnership with the Church in the health sector, his government funded the transformation of:
- Iyienu Hospital, Ogidi
- Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Ihiala
- Saint Charles Borromeo Hospital, Onitsha
- Holy Rosary Hospital, Waterside, Onitsha
- St. Joseph Hospital, Adazi-Nnukwu.
9. The State also entered into a strategic partnership with the Churches in the Health Sector. This symbiotic relationship resulted in a huge boost to health care due to the services offered by volunteer-owned health facilities, while the state reinstated grants to the institutions and made available to them more than $50 million in various types of support.
Conclusion – Peter Obi Net Worth
Former Anambra state governor and People’s Democratic Party vice-presidential candidate in the 2019 general election, Peter Obi, said he was a trader who ventured into banking before becoming governor and, like all of us, was an engineer at South African breweries. Obi was a billionaire with an estimated net worth of about $10 million even before he became governor of the state of Anambra.