Former Power Minister Sale Mamman has explained the reason behind his absence from his home following his resignation from the federal cabinet.
According to reports, the minister was rushed to hospital after receiving news of his dismissal, but in a telephone interview with BBC Hausa, Mamman debunked the reports.
The former minister admitted to having been ill and stated that he had been in treatment since last weekend.
He said: “Even before the resignation was announced, I was seriously ill. I hadn’t even gone to the office since earlier in the week.
“So yesterday (Wednesday) and today (Thursday) I went to the hospital again for another check-up; and the doctor said I needed some ‘rest,’ so I stayed in one place to rest,” he said.
“I found a serene and calm environment to rest and take medicine as recommended by the doctor. I didn’t stay at home because sympathizers come to comfort me; because of this I would not be able to rest and recover in time.
“But I wasn’t hospitalized either, and I didn’t pass out as reported.”
Mamman added that the president called him by phone Monday night to inform him of the impending resignation.
He said the president thanked him for his support of his administration.
“Whether I’m fired or not, I have to resign in two years,” he said.
Looking back at 2019 when he was appointed, he said he did not lobby to become a minister, but was called to submit his resume: “And within two hours; I was told that I had been appointed minister.”
Born in Taraba state, Mamman was appointed a minister on August 21, 2019 and had served in this capacity until he was fired on Wednesday when Buhari led a small rejig of his cabinet members.
The ailing ex-minister would also have the ambition to become governor in the state of Taraba by 2023.
He was fired alongside Sabo Nanono, former agriculture minister.